A daily dose of Inspiration for you!

I have been taking the approximately month and a half to review the United States past Presidents.  All adult citizens are preparing to vote for the next President of the United States of America.  Looking back, may help prepare each of us to move forward.  We can be inspired by the Presidents of the United States of America.

Lyndon B. Johnson was the 36th President of the United States.  He served from November 22, 1963 until January 20, 1969.  He was, also, an educator and a politician.  LBJ was a nickname he liked, others he earned because of events that happened during his college and political career: Bullshit Johnson, Landslide Lyndon, and then Light-Bulb Lyndon.

Lyndon Baines Johnson was born in 1908 in Stonewall, Texas.  He had four younger siblings.  In 1926, LBJ enrolled in what is now Texas State University.  He edited the school newspaper The College Star.  He took a break to teach and earn money for his schooling, but graduated in 1930.  He went on to teach high school in Pearsall, Texas.  He next taught public speaking at Sam Houston High School in Houston, Texas.  He went from teaching into politics.

Lyndon B. Johnson married Claudia Alta Taylor, known as Lady Bird, in 1934.  They had two daughters, Lynda Bird and Lucie Baines.  LBJ was, also, the initials of other important things in the then future President’s life.

LBJ was a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1937 until 1949.  In 1940, he also began either active or inactive duty in the United States Naval Reserve.  His service included taking part in World War II and earning him a Silver Star.  After the House of Representatives, LBJ served as a U.S. Senator from 1949 until 1961.  This service included time as the Majority Whip then the Minority Leader and the Majority Leader.  He next became President Kennedy’s Vice President and then became President following JFK’s assassination.

His Great Society Legislation included focus on civil rights, public broadcasting, and programs to assist different populations in rural and urban areas.  United States involvement in the Vietnam War increased during his Presidency.  Antiwar movements and riots increased.  Laws passed improved civil rights, affected gun control, increased wilderness preservation, and improved Social Security.

After the Presidency, LBJ moved home to Texas and worked on publishing books with his former aide and speechwriter.  He later died on January 22, 1973.  He was honored with a state funeral.  He was buried in the family cemetery which is now part of the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Park in Stonewall, Texas.  Many places and things have been named after him.  LBJ was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom posthumously in 1980.

Be inspired!  Have a bright day!