A daily dose of Inspiration for you!

Today’s source of Inspiration is exploration and knowledge gained through exploration.  Our universe is filled with places to explore and much to learn.  Mercury is the closest planet to our Sun and we have explored and learned about it.

 

Mercury is the smallest planet.  It has no natural satellites to our knowledge.  It has no atmosphere, so the temperature varies greatly.  It can go from -280 degrees F to 800 degrees F.  Mercury looks somewhat like the moon, with many craters.  Mercury rotates on its axis three times for every two revolutions around the Sun.

 

We have sent two spacecraft to visit Mercury.  The first was Mariner 10 in the 1970s.  The second was MESSENGER and was launched in 2004.  It orbited Mercury for four years before crashing on the planet in 2015.  Mariner 10 mapped 45% of Mercury’s surface.  MESSENGER orbited to study and map the remaining 55% of the planet.

 

Mercury has a high density and it is believed because of its density and size that its core must be large and rich in iron.  Mercury has craters, ridges, highlands, mountains, plains, escarpments, and valleys.  Although the temperature is extremely high during the day, observations suggest that ice exists on Mercury.  There are deep craters at the poles that do not get direct sunlight.  The surface-bounded exosphere and planet composition contains hydrogen, helium, oxygen, sodium, calcium, potassium, and trace amounts of argon, nitrogen, CO2, water vapor, xenon, krypton, and neon.

 

Learning and exploration are inspirational.  Mercury is inspirational.  Be inspired!  Have a bright day!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s